I hope these feelings stick for a long time. It has been just eight months here and I think we just hit the turning point. We smile when we are out and see all the crazy ways of life. We smile at familiar faces and new faces. We smile at life.
It took some time getting adjusted to a new culture and a new language. I think now that we can buy sugar instead of salt, or order dinner with language instead of animal sounds, it seems as though life is smoother. Alleyah had some big adjustments that she too has overcome. She loves her school, teachers, and classmates. Noah seems to forget there is spice in the food, and Alleyah no longer asks for cold water and instead just drinks the hot tea. We all love walking the streets and returning to our usual sights and seeing new ones. Our days and weeks have a routine to them and it is very comfortable. If we were to leave, I would already miss this place so much.
As the day goes by, we hear so many sounds. Some people may think they are just noise, but I like to take them all in. Things like: a trash truck with squeaky brakes, or a veggie and milk seller yelling into our apartment block everyday at 2:30. As well, we hear fireworks through out the day to scare away bad spirits (including at 3:00 in the morning)! The non-stop construction across the street, doorbells echoing through our 6-story building, busses stopping and going, and recycle collectors ringing their bell from their bikes have all become sounds of our daily life. The water heater re-starting in the kitchen, the water dispenser bubbling as it refills, the phone line buzzing even when we’re not on the phone (why, we don’t know), the honks to open the apartment gate, and birds hanging in the trees in their cages, have become sounds that will be constant reminders of this place.
Who would have ever guessed I was raised a country girl when I say I love the sounds of this place. I know there is only one explanation and that is that we are supposed to be here.
Thanks to all of you who have stood by us as we started a new life here. Keep thinking about us and ask that we will always be joyful here.
The Joneses