So to start this blog, I have to say…I am really excited!
Some of you, who know me well, know I have had many experiences working with
children with disabilities. I started way back in 3rd grade when I
was allowed to volunteer in the Special Ed. classroom as a student peer. It
captured my heart and I knew this was something I would pursue in life. After marriage I received my degree and
focused to move overseas. After we moved here I was honored to start the first
Early Intervention Program here at the local orphanage. It was a hard
experience because I had little language. But somehow I accomplished it. After
3 years of volunteering there our little guy Levi came along and I knew I
couldn’t ‘do it all.’ I had to let go of my volunteering job at the orphanage.
Though, they were doing great and ready to be on their own.
So, here I am, Levi is 3 and ½ years old now and I realize
it has been too long since I have been able to help orphans or children with
disabilities. As I was looking at this year 2016 I thought to myself… “I am a
busy home school mom with many other responsibilities. So what can I do?” This
was my question leading up to last week. Then this email came. “Service
Opportunity” An advocacy camp for some children waiting for their future
adoption and forever families. Just a one-week camp, to go meet these 15 kids
who are on a waiting list for someone to choose them.
You see, the list of children with disabilities is huge; it
breaks my heart. Families looking at the long list only get a few facts about each
child. A name, age, a picture and maybe a sentence saying what type of
disability they may have. That's it, good luck picking, you will find out more
when you meet them to take them home. So, the more info you can read about the
child the easier it is to know, that's the child for us. So here’s how I can
help. I can go spend just one week with this person who has a boring adoption
file. Find out what they love, who they are, how they communicate and to what
level. Maybe find out if their disability is low functioning or high
functioning. I already have been matched with a 9-year-old boy who is waiting
for a family. All I know is his age, name and he is deaf. I can’t wait to meet
him, and change his file because I know him. Last fall they started the first
camp to help organize advocates for waiting children. Out of 22 children, 20
are now adopted! You might wonder if I still know American Sign Language. Well,
I do but need some practice again. However Chinese sign and American sign is
different. I will see how much we are able to communicate between the 2 sign
languages, and who knows, he might know ASL and I might learn Chinese sign! I
just hope I can change his file and his life!
Can you see now why I am so excited? So the end of April I
will join others as a team to love on these children. There is a cost of $1,800
for my 9-year-old camper and I to attend this camp. We are happy to get the
chance to do this! If you have a heart for this, let me know and you can
partner to help send my camper and I to camp. Here’s to changing his life!
I will continue to post info regarding this camp and my
camper. I just wanted to send out a blog explaining what’s going on and what I
am up to.
Love ya all! Lori~
